Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Homemade Pizza Dough

L and I had a great time ringing in the new year with some friends on base - it was low key, relaxing, and right up my alley. Today, L and I are having one of our laziest days on record, and are topping it off with pizza for dinner and a movie date tonight. (We're going to see "American Hustle" - I'll let you know how it is!)

I got a homemade pizza dough recipe from a co-worker a few years ago and it's now my go-to for pizza nights - unless we're strapped for time or motivation, then we'll go with the pre-made ones. I like this one though because I know what's going in it, I can use artificial sweeteners if I'd like to, and I can use wheat flour. Here is what you need:

1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and let it SIT. (I usually melt the shortening first in the microwave to help it mix in better, and let it sit for 15-ish minutes so the yeast really starts to get bubbly and react.)
2. I usually use half wheat flour and half bread flour, and begin by mixing two cups of each and adding as needed. Once my flours are well integrated, I mix about half of the flour with my yeast mixture and begin to knead it in.
3. Add in remaining flour, then turn onto a floured surface an knead well (about 10-15 minutes, or until dough is well worked).  If dough feels too sticky, work in more bread flour into the mixture.  
4. Once kneading is completed, split dough into two balls and roll on counter to get the seams worked back into the dough.  Place each ball into a separate bowl that is well lubricated with veggie or olive oil. 
5. Roll ball around so it is well coated as well.  Place a piece of plastic wrap so it is directly on the ball of dough to prevent it from drying out, then stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the entire bowl.  Place in refrigerator, and pull out about an hour before you're ready to use it the next day.
 
Once dough has set on the counter for about 1 hour (to get it to room temp), turn oven onto 425 degrees, and pull dough out of bowl and work into shape.  Place on pizza pan and add sauce, cheese and toppings.  Once oven has reached temp, put pizza in for about 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and your cheese is bubbly.
 
I usually made one half of the dough one night, and put the second half in a ziplock bag, freeze it, and save it for another time. I've waited as long as a month before pulling it back out to thaw, but I'm not entirely sure how long it would keep.
 
Let me know if you try my recipe and how you liked it! I hope everyone is having a great New Years Day!




 






2 comments:

  1. Good to know! We love making homemade pizzas on the Green Egg and haven't ever tried making homemade dough (I actually really like the Publix kind). This sounds super easy though!

    Xo, J
    http://www.georgiapeachmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried grilled pizza before! We (unfortunately) don't have a Green Egg, but we do have lots of grills at our apartment complex - I'll have to try your idea this summer!

      Delete