Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Saving Money

This is something I know we are all worrying about, all of the time. I don't claim that L and I have it all figured out, but with me being out of a steady job for a month and a half now, we've been pinching extra pennies knowing that my last paycheck from Sweet Briar is about to run out.

I thought I'd share a few tips for how we save money and are able to balance our finances with all of you!
1. Coupons - I picked up a coupon organizer in Target's Dollar Spot about a year ago, and keep coupons in it, and the coupons in my purse. I only clip ones I know I'll use, and tend to only clip ones you can redeem on one item (rather than $1 off 3 boxes of chips, etc.). I maybe use 5 or 6 each week when I shop, but they save me about $5 or so, which is nice! My other two favorite things? Target's new Cartwheel App (Thanks, B for that tip!) and the fact that Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons do not expire, no matter what they say.
2. Meal Planning - there are few things that make me cringe more than going out to eat and dropping $35-$40 just for two entrees and a Coke. (Heaven forbid we buy an adult beverage!) So, we meal plan. I map out our meals for 6 nights a week, knowing we'll treat ourselves to one date night. We also eat basically the same thing for breakfast and lunch (and snacks) every day. (My poor husband has had a banana, apple, carrots, granola bars, string cheese, yogurt, and sandwich in his lunch every day for the last 9 months...) Our meals for this week? 
Monday: Balsamic Chicken Salad inspired by this recipe 
Tuesday: Spaghetti with marinara sauce (I was babysitting so L was solo)
Wednesday: Frozen Pizza (I have girls night out!)
Thursday: Tilapia Fish Tacos
Saturday: Cheese Quesadillas
Sunday: Old Bay Salmon
Monday: Eating everything in the fridge that will go bad while we're on our honeymoon
I can get a weeks worth of food for about $60 - this includes what we need for all our meals (scaled down to feed 2, neither of us love leftovers) and lots of fresh produce for snacks.
3. Free Activities with Friends - I love the movies more than anyone - I'd live there if I could. (And if a job there wouldn't require me to stay awake past 10 I'd apply!) But they're so darn expensive. So is bowling. And just about anything else in this town that is half fun to do. So, we've made our own fun - like game nights or Cookout Club. It's amazing how much money you save and how much more use you get out of your board games and corn hole sets. 

One thing we're not skimping out on? Saving and investing money. No matter how many pennies we're pinching right now, we know that squirreling away that money NOW will have tremendous benefits down the road. If you don't have an IRA or Certificate of Deposit, or other forms of investment, visit your local bank today and ask about your options. It's important to start those funds early so we can all retire early and spoil our grandkids :)

What do you do to save a few bucks? 



6 comments:

  1. Yikes!! Such a tough topic. My last paycheck will be here soon. :( Such an adjustment, especially with Jon getting back from deployment. $60 a week is great, girl. The meal planning helps tremendously. We ate out tons when we were dating. Jon and I are such breakfast people, and breakfast out is one of our favorite things to do together. I find it to be much cheaper than dinner out, especially if you find a small dinner.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love diners!! I wish our current town had more to offer as far as smaller places. So many big chains...

      Delete
  2. My problem with coupons is forgetting to use them when I'm checking out! I get excited when I find one for products I actually like and then get home and realize I never even used it... struggle. When I set up an IRA I felt so very adult! ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly try to sit down the night before. I usually know when I'm going somewhere, so I pull the ones that I think I'll use and stick them in my wallet where my cards are so I see them. And I know about the IRA -- I love getting those statements every quarter to see how much I've earned!

      Delete
  3. We need to get better about meal planning...we eat out way too much and also end up throwing stuff away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate hate hate throwing things away. (Juicing has actually helped with that -- if produce is on its way to being bad, I juice it! Voila!)

      Delete