Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Dining Room Plans

The move is coming up so quickly, and I'm getting excited to settle into a new space. Right now, here is what the dining room looks like in our new rental house:

First of all, we're waiting on approval to paint. The maroon is pretty, but it makes an already small dining room feel much, much smaller. This room is one of the first you see - directly to your left when you walk in the front door - and I want to make it feel open and welcoming. You can't see it too well, but there is a great light fixture on the ceiling, and that window lets it lots of natural light. 

I've never had a formal dining room before - it has always been a blended space into living areas - and I'm so excited to have a little space dedicated to sharing meals with L.

Here is my Pin-spiration for this room:
I love this bench set up! I think with a smaller space, a bench will allow us to seat more people and utilize the space a little better. 
These floating shelves would allow me to add depth to the room - and art! - without needing a bookshelf or fussing with setting up a gallery wall. (I just do not have the eye for it - or the patience, really.)
This little buffet station is perfect to tuck into a corner. It would provide great storage while staying out of the main "traffic" pattern. 

Do you have a formal dining room? What tips do you have for me as I put ours together?

Also - don't forget that today is an odd day in June and to participate in Allie and my's photo challenge #oddsareIam!





8 comments:

  1. So excited to see if you guys get to paint! I totally agree with the openness of a lighter color. I LOVE the first picture with the round table and bench. I love everything about it. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think we'll paint now and ask for forgiveness later ;)

      Delete
  2. With the floating shelves, would you display your wedding china? Kate Spade boxes are pretty and all, but it's time to show off (and use!) those beautiful sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to put some of the china in the buffet - and maybe set up some of those Kate Spade prints on the shelves for decoration instead.

      Delete
  3. These are all such great ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! :) I'll be sure to post photos from our finished product.

      Delete
  4. We are just moving into our new home too, and have a lot of work to do, I love all your dining room pins, I think making a room lighter can really open the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's it amazing how a paint color can make such a difference? I'm really looking forward to getting creative with the space.

      Delete