Monday, July 28, 2014

DIY Curtains

One thing I hate buying is curtains. Why are they so expensive? They don't have much function (um, hello, blinds get the job done) - they're almost purely for aesthetic. But, this is when I take to heart this mantra:
So, finding the cheapest drapes possible was my task. Even after scouring clearance racks at Target, Wal-Mart, Kirklands, and Pier 1 and combing through shelves at TJ Maxx and Ross, I came up empty handed. Then, I found that great star fabric I shared already. So, here is my first attempt at sharing a tutorial - how to make your own color blocked sheet drapes!

So, let's begin! Here is what you'll need:
- 1 twin flat sheet
- 1 yard of fabric (I used duck cloth but cotton quilting fabric would work just fine)
- 1 spool of thread
- Straight Pins
- Scissors
- Curtain Rod (if you don't have one already)
I folded the fabric in half, and ironed a new seam to cut along. After I ironed the seam, I pinned it (to be sure - I didn't want to mess up and didn't trust myself yet) and cut it in half.
(You can fold from when I purchased the fabric, hence why I ironed my own seam and pinned to keep from getting mixed up.)
Next, I layed out the twin sheet - straight out of the packaging. Then, I cut it right down the middle then popped it in the drier with a damp washcloth to de-wrinkle. (In hindsight, I should've de-wrinkled first and measured the exact middle, like I did with the red. I assumed the packaging folded it exactly. But you know what happens when you assume...)
As you can see, we have the perfect amount of over-hang on each side of the curtain, and I pulled the red cloth lower to give about an inch of overhang at the bottom. I layed the curtain down right side down (so the side I want facing the room when I hand the curtains) and layed the red cloth underneath.
I began with the bottom edge. I folded up the red cloth, pinned it into place, ironed the seam, and sewed a hem, splitting the difference between the fold at the bottom at the rough edge. 

One at a time, I folded the left and right sides, pinned in place, ironed the seam, and sewed the edge. 
Then, sewing on the right side, I sewed the top of the blocking. That edge was rough from the cut, but I wasn't worried - I knew the sheets would be too long and would need shortened, so I planned to fold them up and cover that rough edge.
See? Too long. But not for too long. (I'll be here all week...)
This is when I got bad about taking photos! To shorten the curtains, I first grabbed the right corner, where the red met the white, left about 1 inch of white above that seam, and pulled up along the edge of the curtain until the bottom grazed the ground. I pinned in place, and worked my way along the curtain. It is important to leave the inch of white along the top of the red. You will take that inch, fold it over the rough edge of the red, pin in place, and sew. It shortens the curtain and gives a nice little band of white.
And voila! Repeat (most) of these steps with the second curtain and you're all done!

My grand total was $11 in cost. Not too shabby if you ask me! I learned a lot (and already know how I'll do it differently next time) but here are my top reminders:
1. Iron! Press your seams, it makes life MUCH easier.
2. There is no such thing as over-pinning - CJ taught me that one and it's so true.
3. Don't under-estimate yourself - sewing is much easier than it looks, so take on these challenges! Just take instructions one at a time, carefully working through the steps. There is no rush!

What do you think? Don't they look great? Now to re-paint and cover that stool...
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment: