Thursday, April 03, 2014

New Bedtime Routine


I've always been a sleeper - my Mom says I started sleeping through the night when I was a few weeks old. (As a matter of fact, it freaked her out at first and she'd wake me up in the middle of the night to feed me.)

With L's alarm going off at 0440 every morning, we head to bed pretty early. (Yes, we're old people.) Typically, we'd cut the tv off at 9 and get ready for bed, falling asleep around 9:30 or 9:45. When L's alarm goes off, I take Loola outside, pack his lunch, and crawl back in bed until 7:00. I was still waking up tired and felt like my quality of sleep wasn't very good.

So, I decided to get back in the habit of no screen time before bed. I did this for a long time last spring, and I could tell a big difference in how I felt. So, for now, I'm stepping away from the tv, cell phone, and lap top at 8 PM now. I'll use that time to get ready for bed, walk Loola one more time, pick up the apartment, make my to do list for the next day, and read. I'll generally unwind until closer to 9.

I did this last night, and woke up today 15 minutes before my alarm and felt great. Plus, I woke up to an empty sink, de-cluttered apartment, empty dishwasher, and empty washer/drier. 

What do you think? Do any of you limit screen time before bed?

2 comments:

  1. I definitely need to work on this! Social media and the blur of a screen is no way to wind down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does make a world of difference - even if you can only manage 30 minutes pre-bedtime.

      Delete