Monday, April 28, 2014

Big Dreams

As my last few weeks at Sweet Briar get closer, I'm thinking more and more about my next move. Unfortunately for me, I'm having my post-graduation career crises 4 years later than everyone else. I've always wanted to own my own business, and have dreamt of everything from cafes to bed and breakfasts to independent counseling. 

There are three things that have been on my mind the last few weeks, to the point where I'm starting to put together some loose business plans and do more in-depth research and maybe even look into some implementation...

1. Independent Counseling - I've been in higher education for 4 years, and would love the chance to work with families and help them through the college search, application, and financial aid processes. 
Pros: Staying in the industry I know and love, chances to build relationships with clients
Cons: Attracting customers - I don't interact with many people who have teenagers

2. Food Truck - I love to cook, and given the choice, I'd love to attend culinary school and get some more formal training. A food truck would be so fun to own and operate! (For the record, the menu would feature grilled cheeses!)
Pros: Getting to cook!, so many possibilities of where to sell, little competition in Clarksville
Cons: So many licenses and guidelines and red tape, needing a witty name (I am NOT a funny person)

3. Errand Company - An alumna of my college founded a service called Task Rabbit and it got me thinking. I actually kinda love running errands, and think I'm pretty efficient at it, so maybe I could do it as a job!
Pros: Gets me out on the town, feels high in demand
Cons: Is this a luxury service? Lots of details to figure out on a daily basis

What do you think? Which business would get your vote? Any food truck name ideas? 


3 comments: