Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Working Out

So, I have re-enrolled at Weight Watchers to help me lose weight for my wedding. I joined in May 2011 and lost 30 pounds before plateauing and essentially giving up. I thought I had learned the majority of the eating right information and would just self-monitor. Well, I did put about 15 pounds back on and have decided to re-enroll.

My family has a history of diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol. Since so many of these things are related, eating right and staying active can help me keep them all in check. However, I was beyond frustrated when I met with the doctor and learned of my inevitable risk of both diabetes and high cholesterol despite being a college athlete for four years (in swimming none-the-less! That sport is no joke!) and being a vegetarian for five years.

However, being on the road and traveling can make it very hard to eat right - and those hospitality tables at college fairs can be so tempting! Not to mention the Starbucks addiction that happens about 2 weeks in because I'm so tired.

I was bound and determined to lose a little weight before buying my dress, which I was able to do, but want to get down to the weight my doctor has recommended to me before my dress comes in mid-March.

When I rejoined W.W., I was at 150. I've lost about 3 pounds in two weeks, and my doctor has recommended I get to 130 to stay healthy and minimize my health risks. I've been doing a good job this week with eating - I'm very proud of myself. Bonnie and I buy oodles of fruits and vegetables anyways and with W.W. they are zero points! I've even gotten to the gym twice this week - just doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and a little ab work - but I'm moving around!

I'll keep you posted on my progress and any tips I have, but I do have to recommend W.W.! Their new program, 360, is all about establishing routines - drinking water consistently, eating a fruit or vegetable with every meal or snack, getting up and moving around a couple times a day.

How do you like to stay fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment