Saturday, December 14, 2013

How to Succeed at Work

I've been going through a rough transition at work. I was lucky enough to keep my job when I got engaged and knew I would be moving 9 hours from home, and have been working in a regional position. I've gone back to campus three times this fall, for Open House events and board meetings, and that's been nice. I've also traveled a lot for work, driving to the cities though, rather than flying.

But, I've had a hard time working alone. My home office is lovely - I have two huge windows to let in natural light, I have a simple and clean work space, and with no one popping in throughout the day, I get a tremendous amount of work done. But, I miss the lunch time trips to Subway, the ability to just walk next door and ask a question in person, and look at the hard copy of an application if I want/need to.

Words of Affirmation is one of my top Love Languages, and I have been frustrated that my supervisors haven't been affirming me as much as I would like. Being regional, I depend on that positive feedback even more than I did before, and I was growing frustrated and feeling neglected at the lack of their attention.

Until I realized, I'm only doing what's expected of me.

My swim coach in college used to say all the time "You want me to praise you? Do something that exceeds my expectations. Showing up on time and doing what's asked of you doesn't deserve praise - going above and beyond does." It's tough, I know, but it's true.

I work hard at my job, I do, but I'm not doing anything that isn't in my job description. I want a pat on the back for my phone calling each week, but I'm on track with the recommended 5 calls a day. I want a round of applause for traveling to Atlanta in December to drum up more applications, but I only went because I was asked. I want commended for reading so many applications a week, when I'm reading my own and helping only when I'm asked. 

I used to pride myself as someone who took initiative constantly and employed an "I got it" attitude. But recently I've fallen into a rut, doing what I have to in order to get by.

If you want to really impress your boss and those around you, I believe you have to exceed their expectations. Be the person they can't imagine the office without. 

What do you think? Do any of you work from home and have advice on other ways I can improve my own morale?




1 comment:

  1. What an inspirational post and love the quote. I really enjoy your blog so far and would love to follow each other--please join my GFC and I'll follow you right back!

    StylizedLuxe
    Instagram

    xo Jess

    ReplyDelete