Sunday, December 01, 2013

A Life of Faith

This morning, our pastor's sermon was on 2 Kings 13:14-21. We have spent a few weeks on Elisha, last week's lesson being "silence isn't an option." I grew up in the church - went every Sunday, went to Sunday School, went to church camp and VBS in the summer, and everyone knows the mission trips I went on to ASP (and my summer working for them) meant the world to me. But, I am lucky in that God gave me a husband that is so strong in his faith, and so knowledgeable, and he has truly humbled me, and helped me to see that we can be such better Christians, together.

With my fall travel schedule, we didn't get into our religious routine as quickly as we had hoped, but last week we began doing nightly devos at dinner together, and nightly we are reading chapters of our Bible and coming together and discussing what we read. I also think it would be helpful to me in my faith journey to practice being more vocal. So, I hope that you'll bear with me as I do my best to share with you what I have learned.

The focus of today's lesson was that what you lived for often becomes most evident after you pass away. And, like Elisha, we shouldn't wait until our deathbed to get serious about our spiritual life. We should begin living a faithful Christian life TODAY so that we are able to leave a legacy of love after we're gone.

For me, that means getting more serious about my knowledge of the Bible and it's contents so that when L and I start our family, I can teach my children. It means acting like a Christian. It's easy, this time of year, to get caught up in the hustle and bustle, to get frustrated in traffic, or rude drivers in parking lots. But this is the perfect time of year to exemplify the love that Christ had for us. Most importantly, it means getting out of my comfort zone a little bit and being more vocal about my faith and enlightening others to what it means to be a Christian.

How will you leave your legacy after you're gone?

XO - C

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post - I loved it, and it's all so true!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete