Monday, August 18, 2014

No longer Fun-Employed!

That's right, folks - I am no longer fun-employed! As of this morning I am a worker bee again - and so relieved! The job search was a little hectic at times, discouraging at others, and long, but this week I'll begin a new adventure.

Although I am no expert, I think I'm going to transition this blog into more of a "professional" advice blog. Although I am no expert, my first job held me to the highest of expectations, and taught me a lot of things that I believe will help everyone with their jobs, whether that be student, professional, entrepreneur, or home maker. (And trust me, folks. Even though we are baby-less - with the exception of my fur baby - being a home maker is a full time gig.) 

So, for my inaugural professional post, I'd like to share some of my job hunt tips and strategies.
1. Put in the Time - As tedious as it may be, write a cover letter for each business you plan to apply to. This is for two majors reasons: 1. If your cover letter is well researched, it will speak volumes to the business you're interested in, 2. It gives you a chance to see what the business is all about and if their values/goals are in line with yours. Plus, a cover letter along with a resume tailored to that particular business will stick out among the mass printed resumes others are dropping off alone.
2. Visit in Person - I dropped off all my cover letters and resumes (with my hand written signature on the cover letter and the two paper clipped together) in person. I'd ask if they were hiring, and even if the answer was no, I'd ask to leave my information behind. This strategy got me 2 interviews, once of which landed me my job offer. Never under-estimate your presence in person. (This one does get tricky if you're applying to nation-wide chain businesses, but works wonders on locally owned operations.)
3. Always look the Part - Not only does this mean dress in your Sunday best to canvas your local employers, but also clean up your digital presence. De-clutter social media (maybe even alter your privacy settings), make sure your email signature is professional, and be ready at any time for a last minute interview.
4. Network - Research local young professional organizations, ask your friends if they know of openings, ask around your church - anything that will help you get your foot in the door. I'm also involved with a Military Spouse professional development organization that is motivating and helpful. These groups are resources waiting to be used!
5. Dream Big - When I left my last job I thought long and hard about what my next dream job would be. Real Estate is intriguing to me, but I wanted to get my feet wet with it, so I focused a lot on real estate and property management companies around town. But, I also applied to big chain retail stores, school system jobs - anything I could find that was open. Beggars can't be choosers and you never know who you'll meet through job opportunities or what skills you'll learn.

I hope this helps! Any job search tips you'd want to share? Let me know if you use any of these and they work well for you!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I always say dress for the job you want not the job you have. I always think appropriate wardrobe is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'd always rather be over-dressed than under-dressed, especially at work. First impressions are everything!

      Delete
  3. congrats girl! what's the new job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's just an admin assistant at a local property management company, but it sounds so challenging and is a great opportunity.

      Delete