Saturday, March 02, 2013

Airplane Etiquette


I travel a lot for work - primarily in the fall and in the spring. I'm so lucky to have a job that lets me see the country and spend time traveling to all kinds of places.

However, I hate people who have no travel manners. The way I see it, there are some cardinal rules that should never be broken:
  • The armrest should be put down, and you should be respectful of the people next to you. There is nothing worse than someone "flowing over" into your seat, or worse, getting too close to your personal space.
  • The plane should be unloaded row by row. If you are concerned about making a connection, you should approach the flight attendant before your flight leaves to let them know you'll be cutting it close. There is nothing worse than people running down the middle aisle to get off the plane first. We're all anxious to unload as well.
  • If you stored things in overhead storage, you should store it so you can grab it as quickly as possible when exiting. You fussing over your bag only makes everyone else antsy - bottle necks are no fun.
  • If you are a gentlemen, you should offer to help women load their suitcases. I can't tell you how many times I've flown with a bag heavier than I can hoist over my head and wrestle to get it into an overhead compartment well over my head. It's call chivarly and it doesn't stop when you board an airplane.
  • If you're asked to switch seats, especially if family members would like to fly together, do it! I would bet it's no inconvenience to you, every time I've switched the flight staff have treated me to a drink, and it's making someone else's experience that much better.  If you have that much of a preference of where you sit, it would probably be worth it to just shell out the money for first class. Problem solved.
  • When you're walking between gates, and need to walk slower, walk on the outside of the halls. If you need to send a text message, check a departure time, wait for someone, step to the outside of the hall to stop - don't simply stop in the middle of the walkway.
  • If you choose to take a moving sidewalk, but are standing, keep your belongings close to you and stay to the right! Those of us in a hurry need to squeeze past you on the left and don't want to worry about our bags getting tangled in yours.
Can you tell I'm stuck in an airport now on a layover? My first flight was delayed, but a friend from high school's Mom works at our airport and fixed my connecting flight so I would have time between. I take off as the Duke basketball game begins, so I'll miss most of it, but such is life. (If they play as poorly as they did on Thursday I'll be happy to miss it.)

What are some of your traveling rules? What bugs you the most?

XX

1 comment:

  1. I like your plane ride etiquette... I'm going to Europe this year, and I've never been on a 8-10 hour plane ride before! I wonder how I'll do with that. I know that I don't like being in the middle seat. I feel claustrophobic. haha I think I would prefer an isle seat so I can easily get out of my seat and stretch! :)

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete