Thursday, January 03, 2013

Under the Weather

I hardly EVER get sick. Seriously - the last time I had a bad cough and felt truly under the weather was in December of 2009. So how do I start my new year? With a cold!

Since I never get sick, I am a huge baby when I actually DO get sick. I had to say bye to Logan on New Years Day - we won't see each other again until March 8 - and being sick made it that much worse. I was a whiney mess the whole way home and hardly slept that night.

I got up for work yesterday  but was sent home at noon by my boss. I took a pretty heroic nap yesterday afternoon and made tomato tea - a recommendation from a co-worker of mine. I was skeptical at first, but it was actually pretty good! Here is the recipe:

2 c. Tomato Juice
2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed - or more if you can stand it. (I used significantly more.)
2 T. Lemon Juice
Hot Sauce - as much as you can stand
2-3 Large fresh basil leaves
2-3 sprigs of Thyme
Cayenne Pepper - as much as you can stand

Add all ingredients into a sauce pan and and heat until nice and warm.  Using an immersion blender, blend all of the ingredients together well, and let steep on the stove for about 5-10 minutes (longer it sets the better it gets!).  Once you’re ready to serve, sip slowly and breath deeply–the fumes and the tea both will aid with your congestion. 



The garlic will kill any bacterial infections in your throat and all the spicy will clear out your sinuses. And it was pretty filling - especially since I didn't have much of an appetite.

I promise I'll get back into the swing of blogging soon!

2 comments:

  1. Aw feel better! And happy thoughts your way as you power through to March!! Hopefully blogging can be your outlet until then (and beyond) :)

    ReplyDelete