Thursday, November 08, 2012

The To-Do List

With a job like Admissions, I wear several different hats. I am the supervisor of the Hostessing Program and work with student workers. I am a recruiter, not only traveling to visit students, but also assisting them through the application process. I am an Admissions Officer, reading applications and making decisions about whether or not to admit a student. I am a Financial Aid Officer, working with a student to navigate her financial aid package and find supplemental scholarships.

My supervisors don't believe in micro-managing (lucky me!) so that leaves me entirely responsible for getting tasks done and staying on top of deadlines. Many people struggle with this, but after balancing academics, athletics, and social activities in college, I have found methods that work best for me.

I'm a list maker.


I like being able to visualize what I need to get done. Although sometimes I can find the list daunting and overwhelming, I almost always find that once I sit down and begin to accomplish tasks, they get done faster than what I think. I am always making lists -- what to do at work, what to do at home, what needs to be done before the weekend, what needs to get packed, what needs to get purchased, what bills need to get paid... I try to keep these lists consolidated to one location, but sometimes they end up all over the place. But, nothing feels better than looking at a page of chores crossed off your list.

In the past, I've kept small notebooks in my purse so I could take notes whenever I needed. For example:

I would jot down recipes I saw in magazines, made reminders for myself, wrote down phone numbers and email addresses, and always had paper available to toss out old gum or give my information to others. I've accumulated many over the past couple of years and keep them on my bookshelf. They are decorative and cute much longer after I'm writing in them.

I've never been very good about using my phone - although the Reminders app on my iPhone is helpful. It's too easy for my phone not to be around, or charged, or without service and honestly, I still have a phobia that it'll shut down "Revolution" style and I'll be stranded without my schedule for the day.

Most recently, I've been using my Lilly Pulitzer planner. I can jot down appointments, goals, and countdowns on appropriate days, keep running lists, and of course, it's so cute!


My personal strategy is to alternate between daunting tasks and easy tasks. I'll knock out a bigger project I've been avoiding, then do a mindless simple task. It helps keep my motivation up and gives lots of breaks during the day. Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment