Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bedroom Organization

I love our new apartment - I do. It's an old house, with two upstairs apartments and two downstairs. It's a long apartment, but 14 foot ceilings, 10 foot windows, granite countertops, all new appliances -- the owner did a great job with the renovation.

There are "3" bedrooms and one bath - and when we divided up rooms, I got the smallest "room" by default. (Emily had only lived in furnished apartments, and to keep her from having to buy too much furniture  we have her the room with the most built in shelving. Bonnie has a queen size bed and a huge dresser, which would never fit into my room.) So, into the 8x14" room I went. (It would make the most perfect office, really, but for now, it's my room.)

It's not a huge deal really - we spend all of our time in the living room anyways, and plus, my room stays the warmest because it's so darn small. Assuming that was how the rooms would play out, I had mentally downsized my furniture before leaving our last apartment, and it played out fairly well. Lots of my furniture ended up in the living room and hall way - but we're still working on all of that. But here is a look at what I'm working with:

Here is my room (and Avery keeping me company.) I'm hoping for new curtains for Christmas, but you can see I wasn't exaggerating on the dimensions of the room. It is small, but feels cozy when I'm there.

Since my room doesn't have a closet, I invested in a garment rack to use instead. I've always kept my closet organized, I wasn't worried about it getting messy, and I kinda like the way it looks. I found one at Wal-Mart for super cheap and it does exactly what I need it to. I did purge a bunch of clothes before the move though and took them to a local consignment shop.

I'm lucky that I inherited my grandmother's dresser, so I have lots of storage. It's high, but I'm able to keep my jewelry box there and it holds lots of clothes. (I do need to find a new home for those knick-knacks though. The clutter drives me nuts.) (You can also see where I re-purposed a drawer as a shelf for the wall - currently it holds my Logan memorabilia - ticket stubs and what not.)

I have a small night stand I stole from Granny's house as well and painted navy to match my bed. That area is a little crazy, but it's just enough room for what I need it to hold. You can see I have a frame with a photo of me and Logan in Chicago last summer:



This is my shoe storage (sorry for the sneak peak at my foot!). First of all, I'm not a big shoe girl to begin with - I like to stick to the basic, classic choices. My Dad built me this under the bed storage a long time ago, and we've always nick named it the "shoe coffin." But, as you can see, it works perfectly for what I need. And they slide neatly under my bed.

So that's a sneak peek! I like to keep my room VERY clean, and with a smaller space, I'm keeping it even neater. I feel like I'm back in college, but then again, in 261 days I'll be getting ready to move into a house with my husband, so it's not so bad :)

Enjoy! XX - C





No comments:

Post a Comment