Monday, March 24, 2014

FRG Coffee

I love our Army life so far. I was telling L the other day - the women I've met since we've moved to Tennessee are some of the most welcoming and loyal I've ever met. Granted, in this life, we have to stick together, but I've quickly made lifelong friends and I love with all my heart.

Now that L's brigade is completely back from deployment (and L is in a more permanent position with a platoon and everything), the FRG groups are getting back into full swing. FRG is the Family Readiness Group. Their main priority is morale - but they are also the source of information, support, and friendship. 

The Battalion FRG does a monthly coffee, and I volunteered to host in May. I am so excited and am already in planning mode. My husband is at the bottom of the Officer Barrel, so I really want to impress these more seasoned army wives. I'll host in the Club House of my apartment complex, and if it's nice, we can even do it outside near the pool. If not, we can use one of the meeting rooms inside.

I'm still getting the details on the event - structured vs. more of an open house? Should we have activities planned? Is it more of a sit-down lunch or a finger foods sort of meal? This will also be my second one attending, so I'm not sure what's been done before and what's new. As I iron those details out, I spent my entire lunch break in Pinterest gathering pinspiration!

Lucky for me, their Brigade symbol is a Spade. So, that, combined with a tea party, brings lots of Alice in Wonderland ideas to mind. Like this:



With all spades, of course. What would I put inside, you ask? What about this:


Usually Target or Wal-Mart will have smaller insulated cups at the start of summer time, and it'd be easy to craft some felt koozies and drop in a few tea bags and honey sticks. Of course, this would depend on how many RSVP. If lots of spouses are able to attend, this may get a little pricey - but I could do a variation of it for sure.

Now, the food is the big question. While I wait to find out if I need more hearty dishes or more finger foods, I saw this pin and fell in love:


Donut holes and fresh fruit on a skewer? Count me in! I love kabobs and these sweet ones will be the perfect balance between healthy and indulgent. 

I know some of you who read this are Army Wives - what do you recommend for refreshments? How does your FRG work? Any one have experience with little get togethers and have ideas for themes or dishes?

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Coffees are more of a finger food type event, not too crazy formal. The BN Advisor will handle the formal portion of it when it comes to business going on in the unit. If you have any questions let me know. I run our BN coffee group. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm slowly figuring all of this out - it will only take a dozen emails of back and forth ;) Any advice on popular foods or activities?

      Delete
  2. Loving all of your ideas!! You can't beat Pinterest when it comes to party planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Party planning is so fun! Love your ideas..another great finger food for brunch is quiche/egg cups! You make them in a muffin tin and fill with a variety of different toppings!

    ReplyDelete