Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Comfort Foods

In my line of work, my job is very cyclical. The summer is spent planning travel for the fall and year-long recruitment plants. The fall is spent on the road, traveling to schools, college fairs, and meeting with students individually. The winter is spent reading applications and making admissions decisions. But the spring, the spring is my favorite.

The spring is Yield Season. I spent the spring working with my accepted students, helping them with financial aid, and encouraging them to choose Sweet Briar as their choice for the fall. It's a full court press and I'm emailing, calling, and visiting in person from February 1 until the decision deadline of May 1. 

Being a southern girl, I tend to rely on food in times of stress. Hi, my name is Catherine, and I'm an emotional eater. But, being southern, at least I have good food to rely on. Today, I thought I'd share some of my favorite go-to comfort foods on bad days.

1. Bagel Pizzas
These were a favorite in college on Make Your Own Pizza Night. And they're easy as pie to make! I tend to get Bagel Thins (they're more Weight Watchers friendly), pizza sauce, sliced mozzarella cheese, and whatever toppings I'm craving - pepperoni, green peppers, onion, mushrooms - you name it! I prefer sliced cheese over shredded, because it melts a little better and makes less of a mess. And if I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I'll home-make pesto to use as a base instead of pizza sauce. Bake at 300 degrees for 8-10 minutes, then broil for 3-4 to get the cheese nice and bubbly. Voila!

2. Mac and Cheese
I have what feels like half a dozen recipes for mac and cheese that I go back and forth on, but on a busy day, Kraft is the way to go. Who doesn't love that blue box? I do love Annie's homegrown, but I think Kraft is cheesier, which is the best stress reliever. I mostly follow the directions on the box, but instead of milk AND butter, I use an entire stick of butter. Not healthy, but it's how Granny did it. I also tend to add a little cayenne pepper and some additional shredded cheese for a little more flavor.

3. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
 Variety is the spice of life, and like mac and cheese, I have dozens of recipes I enjoy. I posted about my Bee Sting sandwiches, and sometimes I channel my inner Tom and Chee and get creative with what I have on hand. Things I do most every time though? I mix a little mayonnaise and mustard and spread it on the inside for some tang, add meat if I have it on hand, and use lots and lots of butter on the outside for a nice, salty toast on the outside.
 
4. Popcorn
Granted, I eat popcorn when I'm happy or sad, stressed or relaxed, breakfast, lunch, or dinner - but I tend to experiment more when I'm stressed. We have our own popcorn popper, and use a variety of kernels and seasonings on the top. My in-laws are from Amish Country so we have lots of great seasonings, but I was given the tip over the weekend to try drizzling some balsamic vinegar over the finished product. Or use a flavored salt - like Siracha salt - or truffle salt. Yum yum yum!

5. Tacos
I could probably eat tacos for every meal. It's not very hard to brown the meat, there are so many recipes for homemade taco seasonings, and you have so many options for toppings. Lettuce, tomato, guacamole, cheese, salsa, cabbage, cilantro.. there's no wrong answer.

What are you favorite stress foods? Oh! And don't forget to tune in tomorrow a special surprise!

 

2 comments:

  1. girl, i LOVE popcorn! i always make it on the stove! And about how many WW points are in those bagel pizzas?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 Bagel Thin (I like Thomas Everything Bagel Thins) - 3 points, 4 tbsp Pizza Sauce - 1 point, 2 slices of Mozzarella cheese - 4 points -- so 8, with any veggie toppings at 0 points! I also like turkey pepperoni, which are only 1 point for 14 slices! Heavenly, right?

      Delete